I recently admitted to myself that as much as I’ve been eating healthily lately, I’m not going to get in shape and lose weight without working out. You’ve seen my baked goods, I love food too much. I’ve been hesitant to start running again since I’ve had a lot of problems with my knees in the past year, but this week I bit the bullet and started running.
Well.. I started by running two and a half minutes at the start of every half mile and finishing out the half mile by walking. In the end it meant I ran just over a mile and walked just over 1 3/4 mile (plus a mile and a half before my run). I know to some people it doesn’t sound like much but I’m really scared to push to the point that my knee gives out again, so this seemed like a good compromise. In the past I’ve jumped right back into running two or three miles at a time, and I have to stop right away because of my knee (and because I was a college kid and let’s be honest, sitting on the couch was way more appealing). This time my plan is to build up to steady running.
That said, I’m sure I’m not the only person who absolutely dreads running unless I have a great playlist to run to. Recently I’ve been working on building new playlists since I’m sort of tired of my usual gym music, and Top 40 hits can only take you so far. Over the next couple weeks I’ll post some of my favorite running and workout playlists. I’m starting with my go to playlist that I ran to yesterday, which has such a weird variety of music that it keeps me going. I make no promises that all of the songs constitute “good music” but they sure do keep me running. The order really doesn’t matter, but I listed them in the order that I listen to them.
For Those with Eclectic Taste
(or just need to mix it up while running)
- Miranda Lambert – Kerosene : I usually listen to this song while I’m warming up which, for me, entails walking over to the track. It puts a little kick in my step like only a scorned woman can.
- Eminem – Till I Collapse (Feat. Nate Dogg) : I love starting out to this song since it builds at the beginning and gets me pumped to start my run. Plus it definitely puts me in a “I wont stop until I want to collapse” mentality.
- M.I.A. – Paper Planes (Remix) (Feat. Bun B and Rich Boy) : Okay so this is really just a running song for me because I love it and associate it with great people and great things. If it’s not your cup of tea feel free to leave it off.
- Britney Spears – Radar : Say what you want about Britney in the Blackout/having a breakdown era but the chick put out great pump up music. You can also run to Piece of Me. Or to Gimme More. Or to Toy Soldier. You get the idea.
- Daniel Bedingfield – I Gotta Get Through This : This song has the distinction of being a staple on both my workout playlists and finals studying playlists. If you need a steady beat and you’re feeling like giving up, this is the song for you.
- Kanye West – Power (Remix) (Feat. Jay-Z and Swizz Beatz) : Kanye has come to be a running staple and I find he tends to be over-represented on most playlists. This song, however, is the perfect steady determination song. Grit your teeth and power on.
- Phoenix – 1901 : This song really just makes me feel like I’m running through that car commercial that it was in, which is always a plus. It’s a great playlist addition for those who tire of the radio hip-hop that dominates a lot of running playlists.
- Fatboy Slim – The Rockafeller Skank : Is there anyone who’s gonna run to this and think “Man, I’m not having any fun”? I thought not.
- Dada Life – Kick Out The Epic Motherf**ker : At this point you really need some pump up, give-it-your-all music, and if this song doesn’t do it for you I don’t know what will. Also if you haven’t caught on my now, this is not a “clean” playlist, because I think some well placed heavy cursing helps me get through my runs.
- Elvis Costello – Pump It Up : Okay so this may be the most abrupt of my transitions, since Dada Life and Elvis Costello have almost nothing to do with each other (unlike Miranda Lambert and Eminem…), but this is another dance your way through your run kind of song. It’s just a fun pump-up song.
- N.E.R.D. – She Wants To Move : I can’t tell if I’m more motivated by the beat or by the thought of Pharrell crooning to me. Either way, it does the job.
- Talib Kweli – Get By : I try to place a few songs that I really want to hear towards the end of my playlist so I keep going until the end. Even if I’m done running it means I have good music to stretch to. And this song is pretty much a staple on my running playlists.
- Afrojack – Take Over Control (Feat. Eva Simons)(Official Radio Mix) : I find that the original mix is way too long since I have a little bit of music ADD when I’m running. But I like to have some really recent music on my playlists, particularly toward the end, since it keeps me in that bar-dancing hyped up mode all the way to the end. Plus, I just kicked ass on a run, I get to dance my way home if I want to.
Stay tuned since I’ll be posting a few other playlists in the coming weeks, including my Guilty Pleasure Playlist and my Rap/Hip-Hop Playlist.
And, of course, let me know any good running song suggestions. I’m the type of girl who believes you can never have too many good playlists.
(Image Source: http://rwdaily.runnersworld.com/)